The Environmental Policy Department of InterFusion focuses on issues relating to sustainable policy making, social dynamics, institutional framework conditions and actors that determine the success of environmental policy and planning initiatives. The department’s dedicated team undertakes research on sustainable development solutions and scenarios, with an emphasis on the interaction between human and natural environments and landscapes.
The multiplicity of influences affecting environmental policy, including industrial development, urbanisation, technological advancement, political economy and economics dictate that the department adopts an inter-disciplinary approach of analysis, while cooperating closely with the company’s other departments.
The department has an extensive network of contacts with relevant government officials as well as environmental NGOs and pressure groups, cooperating with them on areas of common interest and field study work projects.
The aim of the department is to further improve the quality and scope of its research, focusing mainly on LIFE+ and IEE projects, but also infiltrating the ‘environmental perspective’ and sustainable development considerations in the work and projects of the company’s other departments.
At present the department classifies its areas of interest and activity as follows:
- Urban and Environmental Sociology: investigate the interdependencies between social action and its different settings or environments, environmental change and the development of urban landscapes.
- · Sustainable Development & Eco-Products: eco-labels, genetically modified organisms, eco-management, depletion of water reserves, noise pollution in urban centres, green procurement and landscape management and protection.
- · Nature & Biodiversity: mapping and combating desertification and soil erosion, environmental impact from projects and developments, wetland management, biodiversity protection, illegal animal trade.
- · Pollution: underground water reserves degradation and saltwater intrusion, urban waste management.
- · Climate Change: renewable energy solutions, transport planning, promotion of use of bicycle for transport, green homes/ buildings.
Research projects currently underway or recently completed by the Department relate to the following subjects:
- Promoting Green Procurement in Local Government in Cyprus.
- Encouragement of Citizen Participation in dealing with environmental issues and green planning.
- Energy efficiency in Sanitary, Education and Administrative Buildings.
- Sustainable Tourism E-Tools.
- Comprehensive Electronic System for showcasing Mediterranean gorges through new technologies.
- The phenomenon of Green-washing as a social trend.